Fordwich Unitied Charities
Charity Number 208258
When in 1880 the old Corporation of Fordwich was abolished as part of the sweeping reforms of English local government, it was necessary to establish a new organisation to own and manage the town’s important assets. The result was Fordwich United Charities, which managed the assets in the interests of charity and for the benefit of the town.
Seven trustees, appointed by Fordwich Town Council meet five times per year when we discuss and prioritise works at the Town Hall and how best to preserve this historic and important building. If you are interested in becoming a trustee, please contact the Chairperson and Fordwich Town Council.
Fordwich United Charities’ principal assets are:
- The Town Hall, built in 1544, still used for FTC and FUC meetings, and as a licensed wedding venue.
- The roadway outside the Town Hall, and the Town Quay between the Town Hall and the Fordwich Arms
- The fishing rights in the River Stour, from the A28 bridge in Sturry downstream to Plucks Gutter, a distance of 8.5 miles
- Allotments in Fordwich.
- Land on Romney Marsh which generates rental income.
Two types of grants are made to deserving residents of Fordwich:
- Coal grants (for heating).
- Book grants (for students).
There are seven trustees of Fordwich United Charities;
Catherine Molin – Chairperson
Lewis Phillips – Treasurer
Roger Green – Trustee
Matthew Edgley – Trustee
Barrie Beeching – KAS
Angela Starey – Clerk