In the Domesday Book of 1085 the population of this small burgh was about 180. By 2001 there were just about 300, and by 2011 that had increased by 30 totaling some 210!
From Stodmarsh Road in the south, down Moat Lane through the High Street and into King Street the road crosses the river Great Stour, before becoming Fordwich Road and leading northwards into Sturry. There are just four side roads, two south of the river, two north of it.
There are two pubs, The George and Dragon, and The Fordwich Arms, and a church, Church of St Mary the Virgin that is held by The Churches Conservation Trust, but no shop.
It is only a 10 minute walk into Sturry which has a convenience store, a library, a post office and a chemist, as well as the Parish church, two dentists and a doctor’s surgery. There are also regular bus services into Canterbury, Herne Bay, Margate, Ramsgate and Whitstable, as well as a train station with connections to the high speed service from Canterbury, meaning that London is just under an hour away – and connections to Lille or Paris via Ashford International.
Better still, the river and its valley, along with the naturalised man-made lakes alongside it, and the wooded slopes rising from the valley floor, give ample opportunities for walking, or taking to the water on a canoe or paddle board, or a more comfortable motor boat.
Cycle track 1 goes through the town on its journey from Canterbury to Dover.
Just off Stodmarsh Road is Canterbury Golf club and Polo Farm – a centre for hockey, cricket and tennis.